Counihan, C. (2004). Around the Tuscan table : Food, family, and gender in twentieth-century Florence. New York: Routledge.
Goody, J. (1982). Cooking, cuisine, and class : A study in Comparative Sociology. Cambridge ; New York: Cambridge University Press.
Korsmeyer, C. (2005). The taste culture reader : Experiencing food and drink (English ed.). Oxford ; New York: Berg.
Mintz, S. W. (1985). Sweetness and power : The place of sugar in modern history. New York: Viking.
Ohnuki-Tierney, E. (1993). Rice as self : Japanese identities through time. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
Pilcher, J. M. (1998). Que vivan los tamales! : Food and the making of Mexican identity. Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press.
Short, F. (2006). Kitchen secrets : The meaning of cooking in everyday life. Oxford ; New York: Berg.
Sutton, D. (2001). Remembrance of repasts : An anthropology of food and memory. Oxford: Berg.
Watson, J. L., & Caldwell, M. L. (2005). The cultural politics of food and eating : A reader. Malden, MA: Blackwell Pub.
Wilk, R. R. (2006). Home cooking in the global village : Caribbean food from buccaneers to ecotourists (English ed.). Oxford ; New York: Berg.
[Top ten books as recommended by Marieka Sax, Anthropology]
Suggested Books--Edited Collections
Suggested Books--Single Author
- Anthropology of food: the social dynamics of food security
- The Anthropology of food and body: gender, meaning, and power
- Building houses out of chicken legs: black women, food, and power
GT2868.5 .W55 2006
- The donut: a Canadian history
HD9057.C22 P45 2008
- Edible ideologies : representing food and meaning
TX719 .P56 2009
- Food and transformation : imagery and symbolism of eating
- Food in society: economy, culture, geography
HD9000.5 .A85 2001
- Food nations: selling taste in consumer societies
GT2855 .F66 2002
- In defense of food: an eater's manifesto
RA784 .P643 2008
- In the active voice
- Meals to come: a history of the future of food
TX353 .B455 2006
- Much depends on dinner: the extraordinary history and mythology, allure and obsessions, perils and taboos, of an ordinary meal
- The omnivore's dilemma: a natural history of four meals
GT2850 .P65 2006
- Purity and danger: an analysis of concepts of pollution and taboo
- A Revolution in taste: the rise of French cuisine, 1650-1800
TX719 .P56 2009