What is it?
The overall goal of the Student Library Advisory Committee is to enhance library services to better meet evolving student needs. We engage in open conversation about library resources and services.
Students on the committee will provide constructive feedback to help improve library resources, services, and physical and digital spaces. You will develop ideas for creating a better student experience at the library.
When does it meet?
We will meet a minimum of 4 times in the academic year. The first meeting of the 2016/17 year will be Wednesday, September 28 from 1:30-3:00pm. Remaining meetings will alternate on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons.
What’s in it for you?
- Help improve the student experience at the library
- Add to your resume and your Co-Curricular Record
- Learn more about your library
- Gain committee experience
- Meet new people
Expectations of Students:
- Look for opportunities to improve our library and communicate the needs of students to library staff
- Facilitate and strengthen communication between the library and the general student body
- Participate in and/or help to recruit students for user research
- Attend committee meetings
- Up to 15 student members representing a broad cross-section of faculties and years of study from both undergraduate and graduate levels
- Two librarian members, who will co-chair the group. The 2016/17 co-chairs are Colleen Neely, Assessment Projects Librarian and Shelley Gullikson, Web Librarian. Depending on the issues to be discussed, other library staff members may be invited to meetings.
Meetings will occur twice per term for a total of 4 per academic year. Additional meetings may be called if required. Meetings will last 1 ½ - 2 hours, and snacks will be provided.
- Co-chairs: 2 librarians will co-chair the group
- Agendas: One co-chair calls for agenda items from all members
- Notes: Notes will be taken at every meeting by one of the co-chairs. All meeting notes will be made publicly available after approval by the committee.
- Librarian members will report to Library leadership and will provide updates to Library Committees as appropriate
- There is no requirement for quorum for the committee.
Co-chairs are committed to transparency of process including reporting results of decisions related to student suggestions and ideas.